District travel procedures have been developed to comply with Board Policy / Administrative Regulation 3350 and Education Code 44016, 44032 and 44033. It applies to all individuals who travel to workshops, conferences, meetings or other related activities under one or more of the following circumstances:
- Travel costs which are funded by any program administered by the district.
- Travel as a representative of the district (whether or not the cost of such travel is reimbursed).
- Travel while on paid status. Travel while on leave is not subject to the district policy.
Authorization to attend and travel to conferences, meetings and workshops must be secured before actual travel is commenced. Final authorization is secured when all requisite approvals have been obtained and specified travel funds have been budgeted. Any travel before final authorization is secured will be considered an unauthorized purchase and the traveler will become financially liable for all travel expenses.
An electronic (Munis) requisition must be completed and approved for:
- Any travel for which pre-payment by the district is being requested
- Authorization is required, but no electronic requisition is needed for:
- In-district travel/mileage
- Travel for which the employee will be seeking reimbursement only
When requesting pre-payment by the district for travel expenses such as transportation, registration, lodging, and/or a cash advance, please observe the following requirements:
- The completed electronic requisition must be received by the purchasing department, fully approved, at least twenty (20) days prior to the date the first pre-payment is required.
- Prior to travel approval, any reservations must be made in the name of the traveler (not the school district) and must be able to be canceled, without cost or penalty.
- Travelers must submit copies of actual transportation, registration, and lodging confirmation(s) with their requisition. Completed registration forms and/or brochures for the conference/training, reflecting date(s), location, cost, and meals included must also be provided.
- Purchase Orders and/or warrants for transportation, registration, and lodging will only be made payable to the specified agency, not to the traveler.
- Cash Advances may be provided for extended travel at the per diem rate for meals, and only for amounts in excess of $250.00. The traveler must provide a written justification with their travel approval requisition.
When requesting reimbursement by the district for travel expenses such as transportation, registration, lodging, and/or meals, please observe the following requirements:
- Within 10 days of completing travel, a Travel/Conference Expense Claim form, plus all receipts and/or proof of expenses, must be submitted to accounting in order for the reimbursement request to be processed. Documentation regarding the conference must be attached to the form in order to secure proper approvals.
- Expenses which will be reimbursed to the employee do not need to be encumbered in Munis (no requisition is necessary). Travelers should complete the “Travel/Conference Reimbursement Claim” form after the conference. The form needs to be signed by the department supervisor/head and submitted to Accounting.
- Out-of-State travel requires prior written approval by both Division Head and Superintendent.
Procedure for requesting pre-paid air transportation:
- At least four weeks prior to departure, visit the website of the airline that will be used.
- Print your completed Airline Request Form and your preferred airline itinerary, and attach them to your electronic (Munis) requisition.
- Print the itinerary and write your full legal name, date of birth, and phone number on the itinerary. Attach the itinerary to your electronic (Munis) requisition.
- When your approved electronic requisition is received in Purchasing, your itinerary will be purchased. In the event that your itinerary is not available when we are ready to purchase it, you will be contacted by the purchasing office to discuss alternative itineraries.
Following is a list of airline websites – these are the most frequently used airlines, but travelers may choose other airlines if necessary:
Please note the following two sections of the WCCUSD travel policy – if either of these sections applies to your lodging request, additional approvals will be required (a waiver):
- Section 3.a.3 – Lodging maximums
- If your lodging exceeds $185 per night, you must provide written justification of the necessity to stay at a higher cost facility.
- Section 3.a.2 – Lodging under 50 miles
- If you request lodging that is less than 50 miles from the district’s boundaries, you must provide written justification for your request.
Procedure for requesting pre-paid lodging:
CREATING AN ELECTRONIC REQUISITION IN MUNIS
- At least four weeks prior to first night of stay, contact the hotel and make reservations for your stay using your credit card. Get a confirmation letter from the hotel that includes:
- the hotel name and address
- your name
- the cost per night plus any tax amounts
- the dates of your stay
- your confirmation number
- Submit the confirmation letter with your electronic requisition.
- Payment will be mailed to the hotel after your approved electronic requisition is received in Purchasing. In the event that your approved requisition is received too late for pre-payment, you may seek reimbursement by providing receipts to accounting upon your return.
FOR TRAVEL APPROVAL
Requisitions for travel are completed exactly like regular requisitions for merchandise; here is a screen shot for reference:
Remember to TAB through the screens so the system can auto-populate the various cells.
- “+” – go to the Requisition Entry screen and click the + to Add a new requisition. Tab twice and let the system auto-seed your requisition number. Write this number in the upper right corner on all of your supporting documents.
- “By” will auto-populate with your name
- “General Description” – Enter a brief description of the conference. This cell has only 30 characters of space that will print.
- “Vendor” – Enter “123456” which will auto-populate “Conference/Travel”
- “Ship-To” will auto-populate with the Warehouse code (862). Change this to your site number.
- Click Accept. The system will take you to the Line Items page
Line Items page:
- “Quantity” – Enter the number of people who will be attending the conference.
- “Description” – Enter the name of the conference, the date(s), the location, and the names of the attendees.
- “Unit Price” – Enter the cost per person. Tab to the Account Line.
- “Account” – Enter the account code you want to pay this from. Tab out.
- Click Accept.
- 6. If you need another line, Click Add “+”
- If the traveler(s) need air transportation, include the name of the airline, the travel dates, and the names of the travelers.
- If the traveler(s) need lodging, include the name of the hotel, your name(s) and confirmation number(s), the dates of your stay.
Attach your supporting documents to the requisition or fax them to the Purchasing Department: 236-0464.Travel Frequently Asked Questions Travel
Q. How many people from my site or department can attend a conference?
A. WCCUSD travel policy allows for up to two people from a site or department to attend a conference. If more than two people will be attending, you will have to get approval from your Executive Director.
Q. I will be attending a conference in southern California, and I want to drive my car instead of flying. Can I get reimbursed for mileage?
A. Short answer: Yes, with limitations (see long answer below)
Long Answer: Section 4133.1 (e) of the travel policy states that:
“An individual using his or her vehicle on extended trips outside the district shall be reimbursed not to exceed the amount which would have been expended if the employee had used coach or economy air transportation and any required shuttle or taxi.
Q. What is the mileage reimbursement rate?
A. As of January 1, 2014, the mileage reimbursement rate is 56¢ per mile.
Q. I will be commuting to a conference for multiple days but will not be staying overnight; can I get reimbursed for my meals?
A. Breakfast reimbursement may be requested if travel begins before 6 a.m.
Lunch reimbursement may be requested if travel is out of the district
Dinner reimbursement may be requested if travel ends after 7 p.m.
- AR3350(b) – District Travel Policy (Travel/Conferences)
- Travel/Conference Expense Claim Form https://www.wccusd.net/page/24
- Mileage/Other Expense Claim Form https://www.wccusd.net/page/24
QuestionsContact Ann Crouse, Purchasing Department, 231-1198