Electronic Flyer Approval & Distribution Process
Community Engagement Department
1108 Bissell Ave. Room 117
Richmond, CA 94801
Like many school districts across the nation, WCCUSD has discovered that the old practice of sending paper flyers home in student backpacks is not the best way to communicate with families in today’s digital world. As part of our ongoing efforts to reduce cost and improve efficiency and be more environmentally-friendly, we have transitioned to a digital flyer delivery system. Effective August 13, 2019 WCCUSD will transition to a new electronic form distribution program called Peachjar. Flyers from community organizations and Parent-Teacher Organizations (PTAs) will be distributed through email and posted on schools’ websites.
Flyer Distribution Process for Parent Groups
Your school’s secretary, or School Community Outreach Worker (specific sites only) who are the school Peachjar Site Administrators, can upload flyers to the school’s Peachjar account for PTAs and Parent Clubs. Please review the flyer distribution guidelines below to ensure your flyer meets WCCUSD’s distribution requirements.
Flyer Distribution Process for Community Organizations
The WCCUSD desires to promote positive relationships between district schools and the community in order to enhance community partnerships, support, and involvement in the schools. Once approved, your flyer will be emailed to all parents and posted online. Paper flyers from outside organizations will no longer be distributed.
To request flyer approval, follow the steps below.
- Visit Peachjarand Sign Up for an account
- Register as a “Program Provider”
- Identify your organization type there are three (3) options (Non-Profit, Government, or For-Profit).
- Upload your flyer for approval.
- Pay the Service Fee if applicable. PTAs and Parent Clubs are not subject to charge.
Peachjar charges a fee for this service that is typically much less than the cost to copy and deliver paper flyers to each school.
Your flyer will be automatically submitted to the district office. District staff will review the material and approve or deny based on the WCCUSD Flyer Distribution Guidelines.
Instructions for Nonprofits and Government Agencies: Local community organizations can request a Community Free account to promote their free programs. Government Organizations such as cities can have multiple Community Free accounts that are department-specific, and create Community Free accounts for their local branches (e.g. libraries). To request a Community Free account review the Peachjar Free Flyer Policy and call (858) 997-2117 or email email@example.com to set up your account.
WCCUSD Flyer Distribution Guidelines
The WCCUSD desires to promote positive relationships between district schools and the community in order to enhance community partnerships, support, and involvement in the schools. The District will approve electronic flyers from Community Groups and Outside Organizations that meet the following requirements:
- They publicize services, special events, public meetings, or other gatherings of interest to students or parents/guardians offered by community-based, non-profit organizations.
- Information shared is reasonably related to the District’s educational mission and offer learning or enrichment opportunities for children, families and/or staff.
- Bear the name and contact information of the sponsoring entity.
- Include the following disclaimer stating that the distribution, posting, or publishing of the materials does not imply district endorsement of the group's activities, products, or services.
“This event/activity/program (choose one) is not sponsored by WCCUSD. Approval to distribute flyers is a community service rather than an endorsement."
Prior to the distribution, the District will review the materials and may impose content-based restrictions in order to minimize chances of abuse, the appearance of favoritism and the risk of imposing upon a captive audience.
The District will not accept for distribution, or allow on school property, any materials or advertisements that:
- Are lewd, obscene, libelous, or slanderous
- Incite students to commit unlawful acts, violate school rules, or disrupt the orderly operation of the schools
- Promote any particular political interest, candidate, party, or ballot measure, unless the candidates or advocates from all sides are provided the opportunity to present their views to the students during school hours or during events scheduled pursuant to the Civic Center Act
- Contain prayer or proselytizing language (flyers informing families of student clubs held in school facilities during non-school hours are allowed).
- Position the district on any side of a controversial issue
- Discriminate against, attack, or denigrate any group on account of any unlawful consideration
- Promote the use or sale of materials or services that are illegal or inconsistent with school objectives, including, but not limited to, materials or advertisements for tobacco, intoxicants, and movies or products unsuitable for children
- Promote during the school day any food or beverage that does not comply with state nutritional standards pursuant to Education Code 49430-49434.
- Solicit funds or services for an organization, with the exception of solicitations authorized in Board policy
- Distribute unsolicited merchandise for which an ensuing payment is requested
- Require the use of District/school resources beyond the use of Peachjar platform to assist in the printing, posting, or promotion of non-school material.
The District may also consider the educational value of the materials or advertisements, the age or maturity of the students in the intended audience, and whether the materials or advertisements support the basic educational mission of the district, directly benefit the students, or are of intrinsic value to the students or their parents/guardians.