Hercules Middle School Ms. Barrett
Course Syllabus (510) 231-1429 ext. 25187
Physical Education, Grade 7 email@example.com
In Physical Education 7, the students will demonstrate skills to perform in a variety of physical activities and/or sports. The students will also demonstrate knowledge of rules, concepts, and strategies used in performing physical activities. They will work towards designing a personal fitness program, which will demonstrate their knowledge of physical fitness concepts, principles, and tactics to improve one’s overall health and fitness.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:
- Assess and maintain a level of physical fitness to improve health and performance.
- Demonstrate motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of movement concepts, principles, and strategies as they apply to learning and performance of physical activities.
- Quarter 1 – Pre-assessment of physical fitness level; goal setting; teamwork and cooperation; fundamental skills necessary for performance in physical activities and sports.
- Quarter 2 – Continue monitoring of physical fitness level; continue with fundamentals of physical activities and sports.
- Quarter 3 – Focus on physical fitness levels as the state required fitness testing will occur during this quarter; continue with sports activities and concepts.
- Quarter 4 – Continue working on skills, concepts, and strategies to improve performance and knowledge of physical activities; analyze physical fitness levels; and reflect on progress or personal growth over the course of the year.
No textbook will be issued to the students; however, supplemental readings and worksheets may be assigned.
- Physical Education Clothing
- Purchasing the Titan Physical Education Uniform is strongly encouraged & may be purchased from the office manager.
- Columbia Blue Titan Physical Education T-shirt
- Black Titan Physical Education Shorts
- Optional Purchase: Titan sweatshirt and Titan sweatpants
- We are NOT using the PE locker rooms this school year. It is recommended that students wear comfortable clothing that can get dirty and sweaty.
- SHOES - Students can change into Athletic shoes for class. It is important for safety that students wear the correct shoes. Please make sure the shoes can get dirty, and creased. NO CROCS! NO SLIDES! NO BOOTS!
- GOOGLE CLASSROOM CODE- Students need to Join the PE Google Classroom for their class period. I will be using Google Classroom
- REMIND sign up. (see Remind section)
GRADING: School-wide Scale: Percentages that comprise Grade:
Daily Warm Up/Workout/Cool Down (10 points per day)
8 –Movement in class fitness skills
Written Assignments (Points will vary)
- Including but not limited to:
Fitness record sheets, Skills tests, quizzes, Worksheets, Projects
A- to A+
B- to B+
C- to C+
- Turning in assignments:
- Assignments will be turned in on Google Classroom.
- Late Assignments:
- Late assignments will have this Due Date: 1 week before the end of the current quarter.
- Extra Credit:
- Extra credit is not given.
- All students will participate in the daily Activities regardless if they are dressed in athletic wear/shoes or not.
- Students need to wear appropriate shoes for physical activity.
- Students must have a pass from the Main Office or Teacher or Site Supervisor.
Any student who is in danger of failing a course (grade below a “C”) will have parent notification via Powerschool Note to look for feedback in Google Classroom.
- Parents/Guardians need to call the Main Office and email the teachers for make up work.
- PE make up work will be assigned in Google Classroom.
- Suspension absences will not be given make up work.
- In the event of “special circumstances,” individual consideration, exceptions, and/or arrangements may be made with the teacher.
In addition to the school rules/norms stated in the Hercules Middle School website, the following rules also apply:
- No food/candy. No playing around. No Cellphones from beginning bell to end bell.
- BE KIND to yourself!
- BE KIND to others!
- RESPECT all property and equipment!
- Take RESPONSIBILITY for ALL of your actions and words! INTEGRITY in everything!
- EXCUSED PARTICIPATION NOTES
- If a student is injured or ill and unable to participate in Physical Education, they must bring a note from their parent/guardian or doctor to be excused.
- PARENT/GUARDIAN NOTE:
- Student’s FIRST and LAST NAME A parent note is good for the day I receive it only, unless the note says more than 1 day.
- On going injury/illness requires a doctor’s note.
- MEDICAL REASON
- PARENT/GUARDIAN and/or DOCTOR SIGNATURE
- PHONE NUMBER
- Notes must include:
- Student’s FIRST and LAST NAME
- DATE(S) to be excused and DATE ISSUED
- MEDICAL REASON
- PARENT/GUARDIAN and/or DOCTOR SIGNATURE
- PHONE NUMBER
- Students will be excused from the activities and will be given an alternative assignment.
- PERSONAL EQUIPMENT (Basketballs, Soccer Balls, Baseball Bats, Etc.)
∙ Please do NOT bring personal equipment (basketballs, soccer balls, bats, etc.) to class unless you have been given prior approval by your teacher for a specific unit/activity.
∙ Personal equipment often presents a safety hazard to others.
∙ Personal equipment that is being misused, particularly at the beginning of class, may be taken by
any PE teacher.
∙ Please use lockers to hold equipment or make arrangements with a teacher/Site Supervisor.
If behavior warrants, a teacher supervised lunch detention may be assigned. The student will be given the option to complete the detention the day assigned or the following day. Students are welcome to get their lunch first and then bring it with them to the Gym. An email from the teacher will be sent. A referral to the administration may be given if the behavior is persistent and/or severe.
- Page 4
QUESTIONS AND/OR CONCERNS:
If questions and/or concerns should arise regarding your child and/or the class, please contact the teacher first so that we may collaborate to resolve any concerns. Email is the BEST way to contact me because my office phone is in my office and I don’t have access to your calls while I am teaching.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remind is a website/app in which the teacher may communicate with the students and/or parents via text message or email. Periodically reminders and/or announcements will be sent about upcoming events in your child’s Physical Education class and school wide events.
- Download the app for iPhone or Android OR
- For text messages send a text message to: 81010 or (715) 203-4668
- In the message portion text: @pe7hms for Last Names A - M
@pe7hms2 for Last Names N - Z
- You may be prompted to send a response text with your name; please follow the directions.
- For desktop email notifications go to: rmd.at/pe7hms Last Names A - M
rmd.at/pe7hms2 Last Names N - Z
- You may leave the subject line blank. If prompted, please follow any further instructions.
GOOGLE CLASSROOM CODES
- Each class period has a specific code. Please make sure your student has Joined Google Classroom. I will send out emails to families with the code if a student has not Joined.
For your records, you can write your Google Classroom code here:
_______________________________ PE 7
PARENT REVIEW CONFIRMATION
Hercules Middle High School
Physical Education, Grade 7
TEACHER: Ms. Barrett
COURSE: Physical Education
I have read the Physical Education Course Syllabus and Grading Rubric. I have reviewed the syllabus with my
student. We agree to abide by the standards and procedures set forth to the best of our ability.
STUDENT NAME (please print):
STUDENT SIGNATURE: DATE:
PARENT/GUARDIAN NAME (please print):
PARENT/GUARDIAN SIGNATURE: DATE:
PARENT/GUARDIAN CONTACT INFORMATION:
E-MAIL: (the email you will check :)
Please list any important information that the teacher should know about your child (takes asthma medication, allergies to bee stings, physical impairments, mental impairments, learning disabilities, extracurricular physical activities, etc.)