Attendance and Absences
The following rules are to allow all students the opportunity to grow academically without disruption.
- Arrive at school on time every day.
- Arrive at every class on time.
Students are not permitted to leave class except for medical emergencies, office summonses, or behavioral referrals. Passing periods, break, and lunch is to be used to take care of personal needs.
Every effort should be made to be in school for a full day every day.
WHEN YOUR CHILD IS ABSENT
Call 510-231-1430 ext. 25085 by 3 pm to excuse an absence.
When leaving a phone message or writing an excuse note, please indicate your child’s full name, grade, your relationship to the child, the date of the absence, and the reason for the absence. REMEMBER… If the absence is not reported by phone and received by 3:00 pm on the day of the absence, the student must bring a note signed by a parent or guardian to the attendance office before the start of school on the day of return.
According to the State of California, ONLY the following are considered excused absences:
- Illness (absences exceeding three days require a doctor’s note)
- Medical/Dental appointments (although we highly encourage you to make these appointments outside of school hours)
- Required county/state court appointments
- If your child’s absence is not cleared within 5 school days it will be marked as truancy and may lead to truancy status.
WHEN YOUR CHILD HAS AN APPOINTMENT
- Try to schedule all appointments for your child after school, on weekend days, or during your child’s vacation.
- If the appointment must be during school hours please have your child attend school before the appointment and/or return to school after the appointment to complete the school day.
- Call the school to let them know your child will be absent and why.
If you have any questions about attendance, absences, tardies and/or early departures, please contact Marisol Castillo at 510-231-1430 ext. 25085.