Frequently Asked Questions
Why does my child have to wear a uniform?
The West Contra Costa Unified School District has determined that a mandatory school uniform policy for grades K-8 will be implemented throughout the district. Based upon data collected from various districts that have successfully established a mandatory uniform policy, the school board believes that by mandating a district–wide uniform policy it will help to:
- Promote safe, focused learning
- Build a positive school climate
- Reduce ethnic and racial tensions
- Bridge socio-economic differences between children
- Promote positive student behavior
- Improve children’s self-respect and self-esteem
- Decrease school violence
- Minimize the loss of expensive clothing
- Help students and parents resist peer pressure
- Allow school officials to easily recognize intruders on campus
- Improve morale and school pride
- Produce cost savings for participating families
- Improve academic achievement
Will all schools have the same uniforms?
Each school has the option of selecting it’s own uniform. There is a default uniform established by the district.
Will uniforms cost more?
No. Our School Site Council has chosen a uniform that is generally much less expensive than most name-brand children’s clothing. The uniforms we have chosen can be purchased for around $5 to $20 per item.
Where do I buy these uniforms?
Our uniforms can be purchased at most retail clothing stores. “French Toast”, “Lee School” and “IZOD” are just some of the makers of school uniforms, and can be purchased online directly or can be found in many of the following stores: Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Mervyn’s, Sears and JCPenney.
Will the uniforms require special care?
No. These uniforms are wash-and-wear and do not require any special care. Most pants are made with a reinforced knee for longer wear than most jeans.
What if my child doesn’t come to school in the uniform?
Children not in uniform, without prior permission from the Principal or with a District Opt-Out Waiver, will be referred to the office and appropriate steps will be taken.
Will there be a waiver policy?
Yes. Waivers must be obtained through the West Contra Costa Unified School District Offices.