- West Contra Costa Unified School District
- WCCUSD Home
Special Message from the Superintendent: De Anza High School Incident Follow Up
October 3, 2019
Dear WCCUSD Community,
A very serious situation shook our community last Friday when a shooting occurred near De Anza High School after the football game. I am relieved to report that the District students injured during the incident have improved and are getting better. A student who attends another local school remains hospitalized and we are praying for a quick and thorough recovery.
I want to thank the RYSE Center, the Richmond NAACP, and other community organizations that stepped forward, asked how they could help and offered support to the community and our schools.
Police continue to investigate the incident and will alert us when they make any arrests or have any further information to share with the public.
Monday and Tuesday, members of the District’s leadership team met with members of the community.
In recent weeks, there have been several incidents around the Bay Area during high school football games. Games have been cancelled, played without fans in the stands, and ended early due to safety concerns. It is in this context that WCCUSD District leadership has landed on a number of changes to increase safety at our football and other athletic games. Here are some of the changes:
- Varsity football games played at WCCUSD schools will start at 5 p.m. on Friday nights.
- Junior varsity games will be played on Thursdays at 5 p.m.
- School administrators and/or police officers may cancel games for any safety concern at any time.
- There will be periodic announcements detailing behavior expectations at every game.
- Both teams will meet on the field before the game to promote sportsmanship.
- All spectators must be seated during sporting events, except when the stadium is full. In that case, spectators will be allowed to stand in a prearranged control area.
- Only non-student adults 18 and over and District high school students with proper school identification will be allowed into WCCUSD sporting events. Students without PROPER school IDs or students who do not attend a WCCUSD high school must be accompanied by an adult.
- Middle school students must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Additional security personnel and administrators will be assigned to games.
The safety of WCCUSD students, staff, and community members is our top priority and these changes will allow our students, athletes, staff and fans to focus on enjoying the games and the educational experiences they offer.
Some of the measures will be inconvenient and there will be some disagreement, but staff regularly meets to review and refine our safety procedures. We will continue to gather input from students, staff, and community members and will consider implementing those ideas as appropriate or practical.
If you have any suggestions or comments about the rules, please contact your school principal. He or she will forward those concerns to our safety and security team.
I believe we have a solid plan in place to keep our students, games and campuses safe throughout the football season and school year. I look forward to seeing you at WCCUSD games, supporting the student-athletes.