- West Contra Costa Unified School District
- WCCUSD Home
Varsity Football Games Moved to 6 p.m.
I want to commend the De Anza High School staff and community led by Principal Summer Sigler for all the work they have done over the past two weeks to help students and their families deal with a very tragic event that occurred on September 27. We are thankful that victims are on a path to recovery and that law enforcement has made an arrest.
After meeting with students, staff, football players and their families from schools throughout the District and the community, we have moved the start time for varsity football games to 6 p.m. on Fridays.
The Kennedy - El Cerrito varsity football game will start at 11 a.m. on Saturday at El Cerrito High School.
All junior varsity games will still be played at 5 p.m. on Thursdays.
We recognized that starting games at 5 p.m. on Fridays were a challenge for families. It was especially difficult for the families of senior athletes whose high school athletic careers are coming to a close. With homecoming games and senior nights coming up in the next few weeks, we wanted to be responsive to the wishes of students and their families.
The 6 p.m. start times provides more time for families and parents to navigate busy schedules and Bay Area traffic and enjoy these special moments with their student-athletes.
The additional safety measures that were implemented last week are still in place. All students attending football games will need their school-issued identification badges in order to enter the event. Students who do not attend a WCCUSD high school and who want to attend the event will need to be accompanied by an adult.
Other safety measures include:
- Additional security personnel and administrators will be assigned to games
- School administrators and/or police officers may cancel games for any safety concern at any time.
- There will be periodic announcements detailing behavior expectations at every game.
- Both teams will meet on the field before the game to promote sportsmanship.
- All spectators must be seated during sporting events, except when the stadium is full. In that case, spectators will be allowed to stand in a prearranged control area.
- Middle school students must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Thank you again for your support and patience as we continue our efforts to improve the safety and security for students, staff, and fans who attend our events.