The Visually Impaired Department is located at Room 16, Pupil Service Center (PSC)
2465 Dolan Way,
San Pablo, CA 94806
Office Phone: (510) 307-4642
Office Fax: (510) 724-8829
Division Head: Steve Collins, SELPA Director
Administrator, Special Education: John Banister
Office Secretary: Theresa Yeomans
Services to students with visual impairment are mandated under the direction of state and federal guidelines:
- To be eligible for Special Education, "a pupil has a visual impairment which, even with correction, adversely affects a pupil’s educational per¬formance.” (California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Education, Section 3030(d)).
- Functionally blind students who, because of the severity of their visual impairment, rely primarily on senses other than vision as their major channels of learning.
- Low vision students who use vision as a major channel for learning.
- Itinerant Designated Instructional Services (DIS) for Students with VI
- Itinerant DIS Orientation and Mobility (O&M)
- Elementary Severely Handicapped (SH)/VI Special Day Class (SDC)
- Preschool SH/VI SDC
- Middle and High School VI Resource Room