West Contra Costa Unified

School District

The Open Enrollment Period for the 2017-2018 school year remains open for the Mandarin Dual Immersion Program only! Open Enrollment for all other transfers is now closed. 
  • Mandarin program application deadline April 28, 2017                                                                                                                                                 

    *Applications will be accepted after April 28, 2017 if there is still space available; however, applications received by the deadline will receive priority in enrollment. Students who apply by the April 28, 2017 deadline will not be eligible for enrollment for the seats set aside  for students who are eligible for free and reduced lunch, are English learners, or Foster Youth unless they qualify for one of those categories. This application deadline applies for in-district students only. The application deadline for in-district students to apply before out-of-district applications will be accepted has not been set at this time. Students who apply by April 28, 2017 will be notified by the end of May 2017 if they will be offered enrollment in the West County Mandarin School.

The West Contra Costa Unified School District assigns students to schools according to designated attendance areas. 
One of the following conditions must be met in order to establish residence within WCCUSD: 
  • Residing in the attendance area
  • Residency of students in foster care
  • Residency of students with guardian
  • Homeless children are not subject to residency requirements


The Governing Board desires to provide transfer options that meet the diverse needs and interest of district students. Transfer applications may be obtained starting on January 31st through February 14th, 2017 from the office of any school, the Transfer Office, or it can be printed through the link at the bottom of this page. Transfer Office hours during the Open Enrollment Transfer Period: Monday thru Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
If you wish for your child to be considered for a transfer to a school that is not your resident school according to your address, please read the guidelines stated below, complete the Open Enrollment Transfer Application form, and provide one current utility bill as address verification. Acceptable forms of address verification are PG&E, water or garbage bills. Utility bills must be under parents/guardian’s name and cannot be older than 45 days.


Open enrollment transfers are subject to space availability at the requested school. WCCUSD anticipates that not all schools will have space for transfers. All requests will be considered in an unbiased random selection process according to priority to determine which pupils will be approved for transfers:
Transfer requests will be considered according to the following priorities [bp 5116.1]: 

     1.  "No Child Left Behind Act of 2001": Transfers for those students who are assigned to attend or are currently attending a Title I, Program Improvement school.             A Program Improvement school is a school that has not made adequate yearly academic growth for two consecutive years as determined by the California             Department of Education. Requested school should be a school that is not Program Improvement.  

   2.    Sibling (brother or sister) transfers are considered only if they would be in attendance at the same time at the requested school. Must provide proof of sibling’s current enrollment. (Having a sibling at the school requested does not guarantee that a transfer will be granted.)

     3.    Program transfers (applicable only to secondary schools) except for Bilingual Programs). A student may transfer to participate in a program if the course is             not offered at the high school of residence. Must list program and attach a program description.

      4.    A student may be given priority for attendance outside his/her current attendance area when special circumstances exist that may be harmful or dangerous to             that particular student. Harmful or dangerous special circumstances shall be identified pursuant to law and district administrative regulations. (Must submit             documentation i.e. Police or school administrator’s report)

If you are requesting a transfer during our open enrollment period and do not qualify for any of the 3 priorities, you must submit a statement, any supporting documentation, and your application will be review in a case by case scenario.


Open Enrollment Transfer denial on new applications may be appealed by submitting a statement and providing a copy of you denial notice to the Transfer Office within 14 calendar days of receiving the denial notice. Appeals will be reviewed by the Associate Superintendent or designee.